In today's digital age, it's essential for anyone working in the creative industry, including videographers, to have a strong online presence.
While social media accounts do an excellent job of getting the word out about what you can do, portfolio websites give your services a professional face.
Portfolio websites consolidate all the essential information clients need, including your successful work samples, how to contact you, the prices of your services, and any other important things you want to share.
So, the big question is, how can you build a portfolio website quickly and effortlessly? We will show you, step by step, how to create a video portfolio website in just one day and have it up and running.
Let's get started.
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Create A Video Portfolio Website
Step 1: Choosing the Right Development Platform
To get started, you’ll need to choose the right platform that will enable you to create a professionally looking modern website with minimal effort.
Since you might have no coding skills, using no-code website builders for videographers is a winning solution. This fantastic software allows even an individual with no programming background to create a high-performant, stylish website with a drag-and-drop editor and hundreds of ready-made templates.
Some of the most popular platforms you can consider include:
Wix: It’s a famous cloud-based builder with a vast library of pre-built design templates that can get you started quickly. It also has a powerful drag-and-drop design feature, simplifying custom web design and creation.
Weebly: Apart from having the usual drag-and-drop builder tool, Weebly also boasts a powerful billing functionality that greatly helps when receiving payments and managing gigs for your vide graphing business.
Squarespace: This is probably the ideal website builder for videographers. The advantages of Squarespace include site analytics tracking, built-in SEO, and ease of integration with social media and payment systems.
When choosing the right platform, ensure you clearly understand what features you need on the website, as this will help you set a smart customization strategy. Also, research customer reviews to determine if a particular platform offers good value for money. Most providers give access to demo versions so users try them out before implementing them.
Step 2: Setting up Your Video Portfolio Website
Registering a domain name and hosting
After settling on your preferred no-code builder, it's time to register a domain for your website and host it somewhere online for it to be able to show up when Googled. Most website builders also double as domain registrars.
You can still shop around the internet and find a better deal on domain names and hosting services if the prices at your website builder could be more favorable.
When deciding on what domain name to give your new online portfolio website, remember to:
- Choose a name that matches the purpose of the website
- Choose an easy-to-remember name. Preferably, two words at most. For example, “clintvideos.com”
Just take your time and be creative with names, or you can use free online tools and search for available domains.
Selecting a theme or template
After securing an excellent domain name and subscribing to a hosting plan, the next step is selecting a theme or template. Think of templates as skeletons for your website that you further wrap with custom design solutions.
You can use free and premium pre-made themes and templates for your portfolio website . The downside with free themes is that they come with limited customization options, which can be frustrating if you want your website to have an exclusive appearance.
The choice of a theme and templates will depend on your needs and preferences. Some videographers want an online portfolio website that only acts as an online presentation, while others want it also to serve commercial purposes.
Step 3: Customizing Your Website Look
After installing the portfolio theme and templates, the next step is to customize them by uploading your branded content. This step is crucial for three primary purposes:
- Rearranging the site to an actual portfolio - helps showcase your work in a user-friendly and visually appealing manner.
- Providing potential clients with ease of accessing your content.
- Customizing the site with SEO techniques for better ranking on the internet.
How you customize your theme depends on its design itself, as you want to stay moderate and maintain the overall aesthetic of the page layout.
With that said, here’s what we're doing while customizing the website:
- Creating a navigation menu: A navigation menu helps visitors to move around the website easily. You don’t want people to find it challenging to locate your contact me page after being convinced by your video sample pages.
- Uploading video samples: The key benefit of sharing a digital portfolio online is to showcase your video resume to potential clients and employers. Therefore, you must upload only their highest-quality work created using StoryXpress or other tools that accurately reflects the skills you want to promote.
- Adding text content: You don’t want to rely on video samples alone. Therefore, it’s better to add copy (text content) that’ll help inform your potential clients more about your services and persuade them to take action.
- Adding call-to-action buttons: Adding a call-to-action (CTA) on a portfolio website can effectively engage visitors and direct them towards desired actions. Mostly, CTAs are added as buttons. Add them to relevant pages and ensure that they stand out. Examples include “ Book a Call Now.”
- Optimizing for search engines: The truth is that competition from your fellow videographers is fierce online. Fortunately, there are some things you can do about it, like optimizing the website for search engines.
In a nutshell, basic search engine optimization for your online portfolio website includes the following steps:
- Keep the URLs short
- Make sure the pages load fast
- Ensure all pages on your portfolio are accessible
- Enrich the content on the pages with keywords your target clients use when searching for online videography services, e.g., “best videographer”
- Add the primary keywords to the title and meta description of every page
Your portfolio website should be ready to go live online by now.
3 Proven Tips for Creating an Effective Video Portfolio Website
Creating an impressive digital portfolio is critical for success in any industry where visuals are important. To ensure maximum effectiveness, there are certain things you need to pay more attention to when developing a video portfolio website.
Showcase Your Best Work
When creating a portfolio website, it is vital to showcase your best work. To select the most prominent content to display, you can choose the work with the best reviews or send samples to friends and ask for their opinions, etc.
Aim for variety in genre, style, length, etc., while maintaining consistent quality across all works showcased.
Include Testimonials and Social Proof
Testimonials are an effective way to showcase customer satisfaction and provide social proof to potential customers. People often want to know the experience your past clients had, and showcasing testimonials is the best way of gaining their trust.
To maximize the effectiveness of this approach, it is important to gather high-quality testimonials from satisfied customers regularly. This may involve actively but politely asking for feedback after completing a project.
Also, consider guiding your potential clients through your work process using a screen recorder from storyxpress. This helps give them a better and more precise idea of who they will work with and what your approach looks like.
Highlight Your Strong Skills, Specialties, And Awards
Highlighting a specific skill you’re good at, whether it's editing, shooting cinematic videos, or color grading, can give you a competitive edge. So, remember to state what you specialize in to attract clients in search of that specific skill.
Also, your portfolio should reflect any awards or recognition you have received for past projects and provide links to reviews from previous clients.
A well-designed video portfolio website can be an excellent way for videographers to showcase their best work and attract new clients.
By utilizing no-code website builders for videographers, it’s possible to create an attractive website without any coding skills as quickly as 1 day.
All that is needed is selecting and customizing a theme, optimizing the website for search engines, providing contact information, and, surely, presenting the best work.
In doing so, you can ensure your online video portfolio looks professional and engaging while gaining potential customers' trust.
All in all, creating a video portfolio website requires careful research and preparation but ultimately provides many crucial benefits in terms of your brand exposure and reputation.